Veeam Expands Industry Partnerships To Boost Adoption
For many people, when they think of backup for their virtual environments, they think of Veeam. This should come as no surprise since Veeam was one of the original vendors in the virtualization backup space and the company continues to dominate this market thanks to ease of use, affordability, and effectiveness. In fact, according to a recent poll, Veeam has just about overtaken Symantec as the most popular backup product in Europe.
First The Cloud
Quite a while back, Veeam jumped feet first into the cloud space by partnering with not just one and not just two cloud storage providers, but with more than a dozen worldwide and that number continues to grow as Veeam adds more partners. This was a really smart move by Veeam at the time as it allowed Veeam’s customers to leverage cloud for disaster recovery purposes, thereby avoiding the need to build out a separate DR site. Further, with broad support for dozens of cloud storage vendors, Veeam allows its customers to make the ultimate decision about where to store their backups. They can choose a provider that best meets their recovery time objectives and recovery point objectives.
Then Storage Vendors
More recently, Veeam has been adding support for specific vendor storage products to its backup and replication suite. Here’s a look at just some of the storage vendor integration services that are slated to ship with version 8 of Veeam’s tools. This information is courtesy of Veeam.
Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots (HP)
Restore VMware VM data directly from HP StoreServ (3PAR), HP StoreVirtual (LeftHand), HP StoreVirtual VSA (Virtual Storage Appliance) and native snapshots. Veeam combines best of both worlds: VMware snapshots for application-consistent backups and storage snapshots for fast RPOs. Now you can:
- Recover guest OS files (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and others), application items, or an entire VM from a storage snapshot in 2 minutes or less.
- Restore objects directly from storage snapshots, eliminating the need for staging and intermediate restores.
- Reduce the time needed to mount snapshots 10 times or more comparing to manual process, lowering your RTOs, while avoiding human errors that can occur during critical recovery steps such as mounting snapshots.
Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots (NetApp)
Combines NetApp’s already low RPO capabilities with Veeam’s low RTO enablement. The integration of NetApp and Veeam allows you:
- Create backups from storage snapshots up to 20 times faster than from other storage vendors.
- Recover individual items quickly and efficiently from NetApp Snapshot, SnapMirror and SnapVault.
- Improve DR protection by creating instant, secondary backups from storage snapshots.
EMC Data Domain Boost Support
With EMC Data Domain Boost you get source-side data deduplication, yielding faster, more efficient backups that enable lower RPOs and lower exposure to data loss. The benefits of combining the Veeam Availability Suite with EMC Data Domain Boost include:
- Up to 50% faster backup performance.
- 10x faster synthetic full backup file creation and transformation for even shorter backup windows.
- Fibre Channel connectivity enabling LAN-free backup to Data Domain.
These continuous partnerships with third party vendors further strengthen Veeam’s value proposition for their product while also helping customers eke out more value from their existing storage investments. I fully expect to see Veeam continue to integrate with more and more third parties as the company continues its growth.