White Paper: Get Your Data Under Control in 5 Steps
Across every industry vertical and without regard for organization size, there is one fact that remains true: the data deluge is upon us. The much-ballyhooed “Big Data” phenomenon that prognosticators have warned about is here. Whether or not you’re a believer in the transformational power of data, it’s hard to ignore the fact that organizations are simply drowning in data. The reasons are many:
- For various reasons, insidious “shadow IT” has usurped the formerly centralized IT architecture, resulting in all kinds of data being stored in various places in the organization.
- Business units now have the power of using just a credit card to subscribe to new business-enhancing cloud-based services. The result: data spaghetti, multiple “versions of the truth,” and negative impact on operations.
- Central IT has become so overwhelmed with “keeping the lights on” that they simply cannot respond to end-user requests in a reasonable timeframe, forcing those business units to work on their own as best they can.
- Lack of data stewards and data architects in small and midsized organizations. In other words, there is no data “traffic cop” and data expansion and variance grows unchecked.
- Legacy environments are being augmented by, not replaced by, newer services. The result: constant needs to develop individualized integration mechanisms to handle synchronization of key data elements between systems.
Bad and unchecked data growth and management create major headaches for an organization and actually limit overall efficiency. In addition, without good data strategies and tools, organizations miss out on what can be incredible results, including:
- New market opportunities that can be unlocked by data itself.
- Business process improvement opportunities that can be enabled by good data.
- Improving relationships with existing customers.
In short, unmanaged data, non-integrated data, and bad data in general actively cost a company a lot of money. This white paper provides 5 steps that companies can take to tame the data beast and provide some potential business outcomes that can be enjoyed when data quality and consistency are firmly in hand.
Download your copy of the white paper here.